Makurdi – The Benue Government on Sunday said it was fully committed to the amnesty programme extended to those in possession of all kinds of illegal arms in the State.
The Special Adviser on Media, Information and Communication Technology to Governor Samuel Ortom, Tahav Agerzua, stated this in a statement made available in Makurdi.
The statement said: “Since assumption of office, Ortom has made security one of his topmost priorities.
“The carrot and stick approach has started yielding results as some have started turning in their arms as displayed in the Benue Peoples’ House last week
“His efforts also averted reprisals in Zaki-Biam, where a soldier and policeman were killed and which led to the release of several persons who were kidnapped in other parts of the state.”
It explained that the governor was engaging traditional rulers, the Joint Civilian Task Force, the Inspector General of Police, the Association of Cattle Owners; as well as other security agencies on the matter.
Ortom, during his inaugural, announced amnesty to all those in possession of illegal arms in the state by August, with a reasonable cash reward according to the type of weapon submitted.
The state government had last week commenced the collection of such illegal arms, urging citizens to embrace the amnesty or face arrests and confiscation.