Legal Nigeria

Breaking: We’re not aware of $875m ammunition deal with US – Lai Mohammed

The Federal Government says it is not aware of any $875 million ammunition deal with the US which is being purportedly  blocked by some lawmakers in that country.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, described the purported ammunition deal reported in some sections of the media as ” fake news.”

Speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja, the minister said there was no contract of such nature and sum between Nigeria and the US

“There is no contract of arms between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the United States of America today apart from the 12 Super Tucano Attack Helicopters of which six had been delivered.

“We are quite satisfied with the progress and cooperation that we received from the government of the US on this issue.

“As a matter of fact, six of the Tucano helicopter will be launched on Aug. 3, this year.

“We are not aware of the so called 875million USD arms contract or some helicopters which they said some lawmakers in the US are trying to persuade the president of the US not to honour

” The relationship between Nigeria and the US is smooth and waxing stronger,’’ he said.

The reports in some sections of the media had claimed that influential U.S. lawmakers were masterminding a hold on a proposed sale of ammunition and attack helicopters to Nigeria over allegations of human rights abuses and anti-democratic actions of the present administration.

The report listed the blocked proposed sale to include 12 AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters accompanied by defence systems, 28 helicopter engines produced by GE Aviation and 14 military-grade aircraft navigation systems made by Honeywell. 

(NAN)

Leave a Reply

Next Post

Appeal court declares Jarigbe senator representing Cross River North

Fri Jul 30 , 2021
Ada Wodu The Appeal Tribunal sitting in Calabar on Friday declared Hon. Jarigbe Agom Jarigbe as Senator-elect in the December 5, 2020 Cross River North Senatorial District by-election. The three-man tribunal headed by Hon. Justice Chioma Iheme-Nwosu dismissed an earlier […]
%d bloggers like this: